Pages

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hostile Laughter in Euripides' Medea

To other examples of hostile laughter in Greek tragedy, add these from Euripides' Medea (tr. Moses Hadas and John McLean).

380-382:
If I am caught entering the palace or devising my bonfire I shall be slain and my enemies shall laugh.

                εἰ ληφθήσομαι
δόμους ὑπεσβαίνουσα καὶ τεχνωμένη͵
θανοῦσα θήσω τοῖς ἐμοῖς ἐχθροῖς γέλων.
797:
My friends, I cannot bear being laughed at by my enemies.

οὐ γὰρ γελᾶσθαι τλητὸν ἐξ ἐχθρῶν͵ φίλαι.
1049-1050:
Do I want to make myself a laughing-stock by letting my enemies off scot-free?

                βούλομαι γέλωτ΄ ὀφλεῖν
ἐχθροὺς μεθεῖσα τοὺς ἐμοὺς ἀζημίους;
1354-1356:
You could not hope, nor your princess either, to scorn my love, make a fool of [laugh at] me, and live happily ever after.

σὺ δ΄ οὐκ ἔμελλες τἄμ΄ ἀτιμάσας λέχη
τερπνὸν διάξειν βίοτον ἐγγελῶν ἐμοί·
οὐδ΄ ἡ τύραννος.
1362:
True, but it's worth the grief, since you cannot scoff [laugh at me].

σάφ΄ ἴσθι· λύει δ΄ ἄλγος͵ ἢν σὺ μὴ ΄γγελᾷς.