Sunday, June 14, 2020

 

Senecan Amble

Seneca, On Tranquillity of Mind 17.8 (tr. John W. Basore):
And, too, we ought to take walks out-of-doors in order that the mind may be strengthened and refreshed by the open air and much breathing.

et in ambulationibus apertis vagandum, ut caelo libero et multo spiritu augeat attollatque se animus.
Søren Kierkegaard, Writings, XXV = Letters and Documents (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1979), p. 214 (Letter 150, to Henriette Kierkegaard, 1847, tr. Henrik Rosenmeier):
Above all, do not lose your desire to walk: every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.
Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, Maxims and Arrows 34 (tr. Walter Kaufmann):
The sedentary life is the very sin against the Holy Spirit. Only thoughts reached by walking have value.

Das Sitzfleisch ist gerade die Sünde wider den heiligen Geist. Nur die ergangenen Gedanken haben Werth.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?