Sunday, June 05, 2022

 

Keeping Up

Mortimer Wheeler, Still Digging: Interleaves from an Antiquary's Notebook (London: Michael Joseph, 1955), p. 15 (on his father):
His mind was a map of the by-ways of literature, a scholarly map full of exciting discovery. On wet afternoons I would curl up and he would extract dusty books from the backs of his double-stacked shelves, reading and expounding a multitude of things, some of which I did not understand and others which I understood better than he knew. From my earliest years he treated me as an adult mind, and I mentally hopped and skipped alongside his talk as I hopped and skipped beside his long striding legs on our frequent walks together. As to the latter, he never abated his pace for my little steps, and I learned to walk in an abnormally fast and ungainly fashion.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?