Friday, July 22, 2022

 

Goodbye

Juvenal 3.21-30 (tr. Susanna Braund, with her notes):
It was here that Umbricius then spoke: "There's no room in Rome for respectable skills and no reward for hard work. Today my means are less than yesterday, and tomorrow will wear away a bit more from the little that's left. That's why I have resolved to head for the place where Daedalus stripped off his tired wings.8 While my white hair is still new, while my fresh old age still stands upright, while Lachesis9 still has something to spin, and while I can walk on my own two feet without the help of a stick in my hand, I must say goodbye to my fatherland. Let Artorius and Catulus10 live there. Let the men who turn black into white stay on..."

8 Cumae.
9 One of the three Fates.
10 Possibly upstarts of the Augustan-Tiberian period.

hic tunc Vmbricius 'quando artibus' inquit 'honestis
nullus in urbe locus, nulla emolumenta laborum,
res hodie minor est here quam fuit atque †eadem† cras
deteret exiguis aliquid, proponimus illuc
ire, fatigatas ubi Daedalus exuit alas,        25
dum nova canities, dum prima et recta senectus,
dum superest Lachesi quod torqueat et pedibus me
porto meis nullo dextram subeunte bacillo.
cedamus patria. vivant Artorius istic
et Catulus, maneant qui nigrum in candida vertunt...'

23 eadem codd.: itidem Damsté: ideo Buecheler: fames Herwerden
I wish someone would compile a Repertory of Conjectures on Juvenal.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?