Saturday, February 04, 2023

 

The Consolation of Philosophy

Cicero, Letters to His Friends 4.4.4 (tr. W. Glynn Williams):
For though every department of liberal erudition, and philosophy most of all, has been my delight from my earliest manhood, yet this prepossession of mine grows upon me day by day, partly, I suppose, because my age is ripening for the reception of wisdom, partly because the times are evil, so that there is nothing else that can ease my mind of its annoyances.

nam etsi a prima aetate me omnis ars et doctrina liberalis, et maxime philosophia delectavit, tamen hoc studium quotidie ingravescit, credo et aetatis maturitate ad prudentiam, et his temporum vitiis, ut nulla res alia levare animum molestiis possit.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?