Sunday, February 12, 2023

 

The Continuance of Every Language

Samuel Johnson, letter to William Drummond (Augusr 13, 1766):
Every man's opinion, at least his desires, are a little influenced by his favourite studies. My zeal for languages may seem, perhaps, rather over-heated, even to those by whom I desire to be well esteemed. To those who have nothing in their thoughts but trade or policy, present power, or present money, I should not think it necessary to defend my opinions; but with men of letters I would not unwillingly compound, by wishing the continuance of every language, however narrow in its extent, or however incommodious for common purposes, till it is reposited in some version of a known book, that it may be always hereafter examined and compared with other languages, and then permitting its disuse. For this purpose, the translation of the Bible is most to be desired.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?