Tuesday, April 11, 2023

 

Coriolanus

Dionysius of Halicarnassus, Roman Antiquities 8.7.1 (Coriolanus speaking; tr. Earnest Cary):
Come now, what kind of man should I be if, deprived as I am of the glory and honours I ought to be receiving from my fellow citizens to whom I have rendered great services, and, in addition to this, driven away from my country, my family, my friends, from the gods and sepulchres of my ancestors and from every enjoyment, and if, finding all these things among you against whom I made war for their sake, I should not become harsh toward those whom I have found enemies instead of fellow citizens, and helpful to those whom I have found friends instead of enemies? For my part, I could not count as a real man anyone who feels neither anger against those who make war upon him nor affection for those who seek his preservation. And I regard as my fatherland, not that state which has renounced me, but the one of which I, an alien, have become a citizen; and as a friendly land, not the one in which I have been wronged, but that in which I find safety.

φέρε δή, τίς ἂν εἴην ἀνήρ, εἰ δόξης καὶ τιμῶν, ὧν προσῆκέ μοι παρὰ τοῖς ἐμαυτοῦ πολίταις τυγχάνειν πρὸς τῶν εὖ παθόντων ἀποστερηθείς, πρὸς δὲ τούτοις πατρίδος τε καὶ οἴκου καὶ φίλων καὶ θεῶν πατρῴων καὶ τάφων προγονικῶν καὶ παντὸς ἄλλου ἀπελασθεὶς ἀγαθοῦ, παρ᾽ ὑμῖν δ᾽ ἅπαντα ταῦθ᾽ εὑρών, οἷς ἐκείνων χάριν ἐπολέμουν, εἰ μὴ γενοίμην χαλεπὸς μὲν οἷς ἀντὶ πολιτῶν ἐχθροῖς κέχρημαι, χρηστὸς δ᾽ οἷς ἀντὶ πολεμίων φίλοις; ἀλλ᾽ ἔγωγ᾽ οὐδ᾽ ἐν ἀνδρὸς μοίρᾳ θείην ἄν, ὅστις μήτε τὸ πολεμοῦν δι᾽ ὀργῆς ἔχει μήτε τὸ σῶζον ἑαυτὸν δι᾽ εὐνοίας. πατρίδα θ᾽ ἡγοῦμαι οὐ τὴν ἀπαρνησαμένην με πόλιν, ἀλλ᾽ ἧς ἀλλότριος ὢν πολίτης γέγονα, γῆν τ᾽ οὐκ ἐν ᾗ ἠδίκημαι φίλην, ἀλλ᾽ ἐν ᾗ τὸ ἀσφαλὲς ἔχω.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?