Friday, May 05, 2023

 

Frischlin's Cry

Basil Lanneau Gildersleeve, "Brief Mention," American Journal of Philology 37.2 (1916) 232-243 (at 234):
I will not echo the cry of the ill-fated Swabian scholar and poet as he sat forlorn in his cell at the castle of Hohen-Urach, that cry of Frischlin's (A.J.P. XXIX 500) which comes back to me after sixty years—O wa seind meine Bücher!
Id., "Brief Mention," American Journal of Philology 29.4 (1908) 498-505 (at 499-500; on Sandys' History of Classical Scholarship):
I must confess that I was disappointed, quite unreasonably so, at not finding Frischlin in the Index. It was the irony of fate that I had to hunt him up with the help of his arch-enemy, Martin Crusius. In my early pot-boiling days I wrote for the Southern Methodist Quarterly Review for July, 1856, an account of that disreputable person, based on David Strauss's interesting and instructive Life. It is not every classical scholar that has the distinction of so dramatic an exit as Nicodemus Frischlin's, not everyone that has a memorial set up to him in Baedeker. See South Germany s.v. Hohen-Urach. But to Baedeker as to SANDYS Frischlin is mainly a poet, and yet he was a poet lined with a grammarian, as is shown by his Strigilis grammatica (A.J.P. VIII 253). To judge by the quickening of conscience and purpose I myself have felt in reading the lives of great scholars, it seems to me of prime importance that more attention should be paid in our colleges and universities to the biographical history of philology, and it is not the least of the services Professor SANDYS has rendered to the good cause that he has not failed to enliven the long catalogue of worthies with human touches, which will be remembered long after weightier matters are forgotten.
B.L. Gildersleeve, "Nicodemus Frischlin," Quarterly Review of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South 10.3 (July 1856) 348-382 (at 380):
On the fourteenth of June he finished the fourth book of his Hebræis, the metrical version of the Books of Kings, which he had undertaken at the instance of the landgrave of Cassel. This fourth book contained the story of Mephibosheth, Ziba and Shimei, in which he found a singular analogy to his own case, and below which he wrote the following touching words, a genuine outburst of human sorrow. "In squalore carceris, ἄνευ βιβλίων, πλὴν τοῦ ἱεροῦ καὶ ἐν οὐδενὶ ̔Ἑλικῶνι. O wa seind meine Bücher, Ja wa seind meine Weib und Kinder." (O! where are my books? My wife and my children, where are they?)



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?