Thursday, April 25, 2024

 

The Convert

Donald Davidson (1893-1968), "The Breaking Mould," Poems 1922-1961 (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1966), pp. 167-172 (at 167-168):
And lo, I was seized, marching from Baltic forests,
Or pressing beyond the Danube, the Rhine, or the Seine.
Salty with wash of the fjords, rimy with sea-spray,
I in my great boar-helmet was seized and won
By a lean priest whose eyes were kindling with dreams
Of the blessed Rood. I was gentled with Latin hymns,
Cleansed with holy water and crowned with thorns,
And told to remember a sin I had not known.
The hammer of Thor was fallen forever, and Odin
Looked upon Asgard sadly. Twilight came
With a mild Christian splendor of bells and incense.
The Goths unbuckled the sword. The sons of the Goths
Remembered the saints in stone with arches leaping
Heavenward like my soul from the desolate earth.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?