Friday, June 25, 2004
This story makes me speculate, idly and wildly, whether a similar mutation might have been behind ancient Greek myths about Hercules, who as a baby killed two snakes with his bare hands. References in ancient literature to this episode abound. Two extended descriptions are:
- Pindar, Nemean Odes 1.35-50
- Plautus, Amphitruo 1107-1124
- An Attic red-figure stamnos, now Louvre G 192, of about 480-470 B.C.
- The Hercules mosaic at Volubilis in Morocco
- A painting in the House of the Vettii in Pompeii