In his treatise on the Athenian Constitution
(55.3), Aristotle lists the questions posed to prospective archons during their official scrutiny (dokimasia):
- Who is your father?
- What is your father's deme?
- Who is your father's father?
- Who is your mother?
- Who is your mother's father?
- What is your mother's father's deme?
- Do you have an Ancestral [Patroos] Apollo and a Courtyard [Herkeios] Zeus?
- Where are these shrines?
- Do you have family tombs?
- Where are these tombs?
- Do you treat your parents well?
- Do you pay your taxes?
- Have you performed your military service?
I suppose none of these questions will be asked during the presidential debates this year, except perhaps the last one.