Friday, March 12, 2010
I own the following books by Dover:
- Aristophanes, Clouds, abridged ed. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1970)
- Aristophanes, Frogs (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1993)
- Aristophanic Comedy (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1972)
- Greek and the Greeks: Collected Papers, vol. I (Language, Poetry, Drama) (Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1987)
- Greek Homosexuality, updated ed. (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1989)
- Greek Popular Morality in the Time of Plato and Aristotle (Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1974; rpt. Indianapolis: Hackett, 1994)
- Plato, Symposium (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1980)
- ...I have no sympathy or respect for the currently fashionable view that Classical scholars should spend more time in entertaining the public and less in trying to discover what the Greek authors actually said...
- ...I do not believe that any worth-while contribution to Greek studies is ever likely to be made by anyone who does not know the Greek language well...