Friday, May 21, 2010

 

Greek, Grammar, Nonsense, Learning

Oliver Goldsmith, The Vicar of Wakefield, chapter 20:
'You see me, young man; I never learned Greek, and I don't find that I have ever missed it. I have had a Doctor's cap and gown without Greek; I have ten thousand florins a year without Greek; I eat heartily without Greek; and, in short,' continued he, 'as I don't know Greek, I do not believe there is any good in it.'
Oliver Goldsmith, She Stoops to Conquer, Act I (first stanza of Tony Lumpkin's song):
Let schoolmasters puzzle their brain,
    With grammar, and nonsense, and learning;
Good liquor, I stoutly maintain,
    Gives genus a better discerning.
Let them brag of their heathenish gods,
    Their Lethes, their Styxes, and Stygians,
Their quis, and their quaes, and their quods,
    They're all but a parcel of pigeons.
                Toroddle, toroddle, toroll.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?