Saturday, May 08, 2010

 

To This My Soul Aspires

William Barnes (1801-1886), A Garden, from Poems, Partly of Rural Life (In National English) (London: J.R. Smith, 1846), p. 114:
A sweet secluded garden! charming sound
  To those who seldom seek the world, like me.
  Secluded be it, so that none may see
Within the woody boundaries around.
And while the songs of warbling birds resound,
  And while I hear the humming of the bee
  Around the growing fruit upon the tree,
And flow'rs of ev'ry color on the ground,

There, blithely busied, I will toil to store
  My ripen'd crops, until the chilly days
    Of early darkness, and of glowing fires.

And when the hollow winds of winter roar,
  I'll sit me down beside the cheerful blaze
    In happiness. To this my soul aspires.
Andreas Schelfhout, Farmyard



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?