Wednesday, August 01, 2012

 

Ratio Studiorum

Albert Jay Nock (1870-1945), Memoirs of a Superfluous Man (Chicago: Henry Regnery Company, 1964), p. 88:
Once, I remember, long before my book was written, when I was listening to some young American educators who were all agog over this-or-that new wrinkle in curricular gadgetry, I said, perhaps with some impatience, that the Ratio Studiorum of Acquaviva had been doing very well by itself for a little matter of three hundred years or so, and if any one had ever suggested any valid essential improvements on it, or could do so now, he was just the man I should like to see. I got no takers. It turned out that these educators had not heard of the Ratio Studiorum, and I suspect they were not quite sure whether Acquaviva was the hero of Rossini's opera or the name of a Pullman car.
If it's not possible to adopt the Ratio Studiorum in toto, perhaps we could start piecemeal, with the adoption of just a few reforms:
The translations are from the edition of Allan P. Farrell (Washington: Conference of Major Superiors of Jesuits, 1970).

Hat tip: Ian Jackson.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?