Friday, August 02, 2013

 

I Must Be Alone

Hubert Schrade, German Romantic Painting, tr. Maria Pelikan (New York: H.N. Abrams, 1977), p. 80 (on Caspar David Friedrich):
In 1821 Vasily Andreyevich Zhukovsky, a Russian admirer of Friedrich's, suggested that they travel to Switzerland together. "You want to have me along with you," Friedrich replied, "but the I that appeals to you will not be along! I must be alone and must know that I am alone in order to see and experience nature completely. I must be able to give myself to that which is all around me, must be one with my clouds and rocks, in order to be myself. I need solitude for my dialogue with nature. Once I lived a whole week in the Uttewalder Grund, among rocks and pines, and during that time I did not see a single living human being. It is true, I wouldn't suggest this method to anyone—it was beginning to be too much even for me. A darkness enters the soul that one cannot seem to prevent. But that must prove to you that my company can't be agreeable to anyone."

Im Jahre 1821 schlug der von dem Künstler begeisterte Russe W.A. Joukowski Friedrich vor, mit ihm zusammen in die Schweiz zu fahren. »Sie wollen mich mit sich haben«, antwortete Friedrich, »aber das Ich, das Ihnen gefällt, wird nicht mit Ihnen sein! Ich muß allein bleiben und wissen, daß ich allein bin, um die Natur vollständig zu schauen und zu fühlen; ich muß mich dem hingeben, was mich umgibt, mich vereinigen mit meinen Wolken und Felsen, um das zu sein, was ich bin. Die Einsamkeit brauche ich für das Gespräch mit der Natur. Einmal wohnte ich eine ganze Woche im Uttewalder Grund zwischen Felsen und Tannen, und in dieser ganzen Zeit traf ich keinen einzigen lebenden Menschen; es ist wahr, diese Methode rate ich niemandem—auch für mich war das schon zuviel: unwillkürlich tritt Düsterkeit in die Seele. Aber gerade das muß Ihnen beweisen, daß meine Gesellschaft niemandem angenehm sein kann.«

Caspar David Friedrich (1774–1840),
Uttewalder Grund,
in Lentos Kunstmuseum, Linz, Austria.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?