Monday, August 05, 2013

 

Lord of a Dozen Counties

John Drinkwater (1882-1937), "The Vagabond," in his Poems, 1908-1919 (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1919), p. 66:
I know the pools where the grayling rise,
   I know the trees where the filberts fall,
I know the woods where the red fox lies,
   The twisted elms where the brown owls call.
And I've seldom a shilling to call my own,
   And there's never a girl I'd marry,
I thank the Lord I'm a rolling stone
   With never a care to carry.

I talk to the stars as they come and go
   On every night from July to June,
I'm free of the speech of the winds that blow,
   And I know what weather will sing what tune.
I sow no seed and I pay no rent,
   And I thank no man for his bounties,
But I've a treasure that's never spent,
   I'm lord of a dozen counties.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?