Tuesday, August 06, 2013

 

No Good In It

Oliver Goldsmith (1730-1774), The Vicar of Wakefield, chapter XX (George Primrose, the Vicar's son, speaking):
When I came to Louvain, I was resolved not to go sneaking to the lower professors, but openly tendered my talents to the principal himself. I went, had admittance, and offered him my service as a master of the Greek language, which I had been told was a desideratum in his university. The principal seemed at first to doubt of my abilities; but of these I offered to convince him by turning a part of any Greek author he should fix upon into Latin. Finding me perfectly earnest in my proposal, he addressed me thus: You see me, young man; I never learned Greek and I don't find that I have ever missed it. I have had a doctor's cap and gown without Greek; I have ten thousand florins a-year without Greek; I eat heartily without Greek; and in short, continued he, as I don’t know Greek, I do not believe there is any good in it.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?