Wednesday, October 02, 2013

 

Love of Books

Miguel Serrano (1917-2009), C.G. Jung and Hermann Hesse: A Record of Two Friendships, tr. Frank MacShane (1966; rpt. Einsiedeln: Daimon Verlag, 1997), p. 14:
Even today, I would go halfway round the world to find a book if I thought it essential to my needs, and I have a feeling of absolute veneration for those few authors who have given me something special. For this reason I can never understand the tepid youth of today who wait for books to be given to them and who neither search nor admire. I would go without eating in order to get a book, and I have never liked borrowing books, because I have always wanted them to be absolutely mine so that I could live with them for hours on end.

As with men, it has always seemed to me that books have their own peculiar destinies. They go towards the people who are waiting for them and reach them at the right moment. They are made of living material and continue to cast light through the darkness long after the death of their authors.
In Spanish:
Aún hoy daría la vuelta al mundo para encontrar un libro, cuando creo que este es fundamental o el alimento que mi alma necesita. Y venero a su autor con un amor superior al que nunca me hayan ofrecido "la presencia y la figura" en esta tormentosa tierra. Por eso me siento extraño entre la juventud tibia de nuestros días, que espera el regalo de las obras, que no las busca donde sea, que no venera. Yo podría no haber comido, haber robado, para obtener lo necesario para un libro. Nunca los quise prestados, porque los deseaba míos, absolutamente míos, para una convivencia íntima con ellos, de días y de horas.

Como acontece con los hombres, así sucede también con los libros; hay un destino para ellos, van como guiados hacia los seres que los esperan, llegándoles en la hora precisa. Ellos viven, mueren y reencarnan; están construidos de materia palpitante, que busca y se abre camino a través de las sombras y las espesuras, a menudo más allá del tiempo de sus autores.

Carl Schleicher, Der Bücherwurm

Hat tip: Jim K., old and loyal friend.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?