Friday, March 30, 2018

 

Faith of Our Fathers

Cicero, On the Nature of the Gods 3.2.5 (Cotta speaking; tr. H. Rackham):
This no doubt meant that I ought to uphold the beliefs about the immortal gods which have come down to us from our ancestors, and the rites and ceremonies and duties of religion. For my part I always shall uphold them and always have done so, and no eloquence of anybody, learned or unlearned, shall ever dislodge me from the belief as to the worship of the immortal gods which I have inherited from our forefathers.

quod eo credo valebat, ut opiniones quas a maioribus accepimus de dis inmortalibus, sacra caerimonias religionesque defenderem. ego vero eas defendam semper semperque defendi, nec me ex ea opinione quam a maioribus accepi de cultu deorum inmortalium ullius umquam oratio aut docti aut indocti movebit.
Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?