Wednesday, January 02, 2019

 

How Bad Old Age Is!

Plautus, Menaechmi 753-760 (tr. Wolfgang de Melo):
As fast as my age allows and the situation demands
I'll move my step, I'll hurry to walk along.
But I'm not mistaken about how easy that is for me.        755
My swiftness is deserting me. I'm overgrown with
old age, I'm moving a burdened body, my strength
has left me. How bad old age is! It's a bad lot for an ill man:
it brings countless troubles when it comes.
If I were to speak about all of them, my talk would be far too long.        760

ut aetas mea est atque ut hoc usus facto est
gradum proferam, progredi properabo.
sed id quam mihi facile sit hau sum falsus.        755
nam pernicitas deserit: consitus sum
senectute, onustum gero corpus, uires
reliquere: ut aetas mala est! merx mala aegro est.
nam res plurumas pessumas, quom aduenit, fert,
quas si autumem omnis, nimis longus sermo est.        760

754 progredi codd.: progrediri Bothe
758 aegro Gratwick: ergo codd.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?