Sunday, March 17, 2019

 

Very Thin Protection

D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), Sea and Sardinia, VIII ("Back"):
And never for a second must one be off one's guard for one's watch and money and even hanky. When I first came to Italy after the war I was robbed twice in three weeks, floating round in the sweet old innocent confidence in mankind. Since then I have never ceased to be on my guard. Somehow or other, waking and sleeping one's spirit must be on its guard nowadays. Which is really what I prefer, now I have learnt it. Confidence in the goodness of mankind is a very thin protection indeed. Integer vitae scelerisque purus will do nothing for you when it comes to humanity, however efficacious it may be with lions and wolves.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?