Monday, June 10, 2019

 

Freedom of Religion

Herman Melville (1819-1891), Typee, chapter 24:
For my own part, I am free to confess my almost entire inability to gratify any curiosity that may be felt with regard to the theology of the valley. I doubt whether the inhabitants themselves could do so. They are either too lazy or too sensible to worry themselves about abstract points of religious belief. While I was among them, they never held any synods or councils to settle the principles of their faith by agitating them. An unbounded liberty of conscience seemed to prevail. Those who pleased to do so were allowed to repose implicit faith in an ill-favored god with a large bottle nose and fat shapeless arms crossed upon his breast; whilst others worshipped an image which, having no likeness either in heaven or on earth, could hardly be called an idol. As the islanders always maintained a discreet reserve, with regard to my own peculiar views on religion, I thought it would be excessively ill-bred of me to pry into theirs.
Between the alternatives "too lazy or too sensible," I'd vote for "too sensible."



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?