Tuesday, September 03, 2019

 

A Book Has Got to Smell

Sam Weller, Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews (Brooklyn: Melville House Publishing, 2010), page number unknown (from Chapter 13):
WELLER: You have been critical of the Internet. Why?

BRADBURY: It's distracting us. It's causing us to not pay attention.

WELLER: How so?

BRADBURY: People are talking too much about nothing. Blah blah blah blah blah. Too much talk. Come on. The CEO of Yahoo called me recently and asked if I would write a novel to put up on the Internet. I told him to go to hell. I said, "Prick up your ears! Prick up your ears! Go to hell!" That's not a book. You cannot hold a computer in your hand like you can a book. I don't care what they say about "e-books." A computer does not smell. There are two perfumes to a book: a book is new, it smells great; a book is old, it smells even better. It smells like ancient Egypt. So a book has got to smell. You have to hold it in your hands and pray to it. You put it in your pocket and you walk with it. And it stays with you forever. But the computer doesn’t do that for you. I'm sorry.
The page number is unknown to me because my only access to these interviews is through an e-book. Most e-books, for some reason, lack pagination as well as perfume.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?