Friday, November 22, 2019

 

Bad Idea, Sam

Samuel Butler (1835-1902), "Introduction of Foreign Plants," The Note-Books (New York: E.P. Dutton Co., 1917), p. 281:
I have brought back this year some mountain auriculas and the seed of some salvia and Fusio tiger-lily, and mean to plant the auriculas and to sow the seeds in Epping Forest and elsewhere round about London. I wish people would more generally bring back the seeds of pleasing foreign plants and introduce them broadcast, sowing them by our waysides and in our fields, or in whatever situation is most likely to suit them.
I curse the misguided fool who brought Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinense) to the United States. I spend hours each week trying to control its spread on my couple of acres.

Related post: Aliens.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?