Wednesday, March 04, 2020

 

A Quiet Day

Connop Thirlwall (1797-1875), Letters to a Friend, ed. Arthur Penrhyn Stanley (London: Richard Bentley & Son, 1881), p. 139:
I flatter myself that I can sympathize with your enjoyment of a quiet day. A life of constant society would to me be absolutely intolerable, while I was never yet tired of what is called solitude (being indeed some of the choicest society to one who likes a book).
Id., pp. 224-225:
As a matter of general experience, I believe that few persons are able to take up again with pleasure a book in which they have been crammed for examination, at least until after a pretty long interval; but it does not follow that they should take a distaste to the whole class of books to which it belongs.

I remember that having been injudiciously plied with Horace at the Charterhouse, many years elapsed before I could enjoy the most charming of Latin poets, though I did not on that account abandon my classical studies.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?