Thursday, April 30, 2020

 

Get as Close to the Original as You Can

W.S. Merwin (1927-2019), The Mays of Ventadorn (Washington: National Geographic, 2002), p. 8 (account of a visit to Ezra Pound at St. Elizabeth's Hospital):
He told me he imagined I was serious, and that if I was I should learn languages, "so as not to be at the mercy of translators." And then I should translate, myself. "If you're going to be a poet," he said, "you have to work at it every day. You should write about seventy-five lines a day. But at your age you don't have anything to write about. You may think you do, but you don't. So get to work translating. The Provençal is the real source. The poets are closest to music. They hear it. They write to it. Try to learn the Provençal, at least some of it, if you can. Meanwhile, the others. Spanish is all right. The Romancero is what you want there. Get as close to the original as you can. It will make you use your English and find out what you can do with it."



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?