Saturday, June 13, 2020

 

Perfect Happiness on Earth

Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Confessions, Book IV (anonymous translation):
An orchard on the banks of that lake [Lausanne], and no other, is absolutely necessary; a firm friend, an amiable woman, a cow, and a little boat; nor could I enjoy perfect happiness on earth without all these. I laugh at the simplicity with which I have several times gone into that country for the sole purpose of seeking this imaginary happiness.

Il me faut absolument un verger au bord de ce lac, et non pas d'un autre; il me faut un ami sur, une femme aimable, une vache et un petit bateau. Je ne jouirai d'un bonheur parfait sur la terre que quand j'aurai tout cela. Je ris de la simplicité avec laquelle je suis allé plusieurs fois dans ce pays-là uniquement pour y chercher ce bonheur imaginaire.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?