Sunday, July 05, 2020

 

Nothing More Miserable Under the Sun

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Prometheus Ode (tr. Leonard Forster):
Cover your heaven, Zeus, with cloudy vapour and test your strength like a boy beheading thistles on oaks and mountain-tops; even so you have to let my earth stand and my cottage, which you did not build, and my hearth, whose glow you envy me.

I do not know anything more miserable under the sun than you, gods. You feed your majesty scantily on sacrificed tribute and the breath of prayer, and you would starve, if children and beggars were not hopeful fools.

When I was a child and had come to my wit's end, I turned my confused eye towards the sun, as though there were an ear above it to hear my lament, a heart like mine to take pity on me in my straits. Who helped me against the arrogant Titans? Who saved me from death and slavery? Holy glowing heart, did you not achieve all this yourself? And did you not radiate, betrayed in your youth and innocence, thanks for your deliverance to the sleeper up above?

I honour you? What for? Have you ever soothed my pains when I was heavy laden? Have you ever dried my tears when I was frightened? Was it not almighty time and eternal fate, my masters and yours, who forged me into a man?

Did you imagine that I would hate life, flee into the wilderness because all my flowery dreams did not mature?

I sit here, make men in my image, a race which shall be like me, to suffer, to weep, to enjoy and be glad, and to ignore you, as I do!



Bedecke deinen Himmel, Zeus,
Mit Wolkendunst,
Und übe, dem Knaben gleich,
Der Disteln köpft,
An Eichen dich und Bergeshöhn;
Mußt mir meine Erde
Doch lassen stehn,
Und meine Hütte, die du nicht gebaut,
Und meinen Herd,
Um dessen Glut
Du mich beneidest.

Ich kenne nichts Ärmeres
Unter der Sonn' als euch, Götter!
Ihr nähret kümmerlich
Von Opfersteuern
Und Gebetshauch
Eure Majestät
Und darbtet, wären
Nicht Kinder und Bettler
Hoffnungsvolle Toren.

Da ich ein Kind war,
Nicht wußte, wo aus noch ein,
Kehrt ich mein verirrtes Auge
Zur Sonne, als wenn drüber wär'
Ein Ohr, zu hören meine Klage,
Ein Herz wie meins,
Sich des Bedrängten zu erbarmen.

Wer half mir
Wider der Titanen Übermut?
Wer rettete vom Tode mich,
Von Sklaverei?
Hast du nicht alles selbst vollendet,
Heilig glühend Herz?
Und glühtest jung und gut,
Betrogen, Rettungsdank
Dem Schlafenden da droben?

Ich dich ehren? Wofür?
Hast du die Schmerzen gelindert
Je des Beladenen?
Hast du die Tränen gestillet
Je des Geängsteten?
Hat nicht mich zum Manne geschmiedet
Die allmächtige Zeit
Und das ewige Schicksal,
Meine Herrn und deine?

Wähntest du etwa,
Ich sollte das Leben hassen,
In Wüsten fliehen,
Weil nicht alle
Blütenträume reiften?

Hier sitz' ich, forme Menschen
Nach meinem Bilde,
Ein Geschlecht, das mir gleich sei,
Zu leiden, zu weinen,
Zu genießen und zu freuen sich
Und dein nicht zu achten,
Wie ich!



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?