Wednesday, September 16, 2020

 

Macaroni

W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965), Ashenden, or The British Agent (1928; rpt. London: William Heinemann Ltd, 1956), p. 48:
"Do you like macaroni?" said R.

"What do you mean by macaroni?" answered Ashenden. "It is like asking me if I like poetry. I like Keats and Wordsworth and Verlaine and Goethe. When you say macaroni, do you mean spaghetti, tagliatelli, rigatoni, vermicelli, fettucini, tufali, farfalli, or just macaroni?"

"Macaroni," replied R., a man of few words.

"I like all simple things, boiled eggs, oysters and caviare, truite au bleu, grilled salmon, roast lamb (the saddle by preference), cold grouse, treacle tart and rice pudding. But of all simple things the only one I can eat day in and day out, not only without disgust but with the eagerness of an appetite unimpaired by excess, is macaroni."



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?