Monday, February 01, 2021

 

Cheap Tricks

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Between Two Millstones, Book 1: Sketches of Exile, 1974–1978, tr. Peter Constantine (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2018), p. 14:
I was naïve in thinking that the reporter, his agency, or his newspaper might show any remorse. Their fly-by-night trade, as long as it lasts, is to outdo one another in snooping, conjecturing, and snatching at whatever they can. Every encounter I had with the media in my first days in the West filled me with bewilderment; I was taken aback. An ill-defined feeling of resistance to their cheap tricks arose within me...
Id., p. 65:
I felt as if I had been stung by a wasp: What smut! This calls itself news media? How was one to live among such monsters, with never a word of truth!



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?