Tuesday, June 08, 2021

 

No Friend to the Revolutionary Mob

Goethe, Conversations with Eckermann (Goethe speaking, April 27, 1825; tr. John Oxenford):
I do not know that I ever joined in any way against the people; but it is now settled, once for all, that I am no friend to the people. I am, indeed, no friend to the revolutionary mob, whose object is robbery, murder, and destruction, and who, behind the mask of public welfare, have their eyes only upon the meanest egotistical aims. I am no friend to such people, any more than I am a friend of a Louis XV. I hate every violent overthrow, because as much good is destroyed as is gained by it. I hate those who achieve it, as well as those who give cause for it.

Ich wüßte nicht, daß ich je etwas gegen das Volk gesündigt, aber ich soll nun ein für allemal kein Freund des Volkes sein. Freilich bin ich kein Freund des revolutionären Pöbels, der auf Raub, Mord und Brand ausgeht und hinter dem falschen Schilde des öffentlichen Wohles nur die gemeinsten egoistischen Zwecke im Auge hat. Ich bin kein Freund solcher Leute, ebensowenig als ich ein Freund eines Ludwigs des Funfzehnten bin. Ich hasse jeden gewaltsamen Umsturz, weil dabei ebensoviel Gutes vernichtet als gewonnen wird. Ich hasse die, welche ihn ausführen, wie die, welche dazu Ursache geben.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?