Sunday, August 08, 2021

 

The Apex of Creation

Goethe, Conversations with Eckermann, February 20, 1831 (tr. John Oxenford):
"It is natural to man," said Goethe, "to regard himself as the final cause of creation, and to consider all other things merely in relation to himself so far as they are of use to him. He makes himself master of the vegetable and animal world, and while he claims other creatures as a fitting diet, he acknowledges his God, and praises His goodness in this paternal care. He takes milk from the cow, honey from the bee, wool from the sheep; and while he gives these things a purpose which is useful to himself, he believes that they were made on that account. Nay, he cannot conceive that even the smallest herb was not made for him, and if he has not yet ascertained its utility, he believes that he may discover it in future."

»Es ist dem Menschen natürlich,« sagte Goethe, »sich als das Ziel der Schöpfung zu betrachten und alle übrigen Dinge nur in bezug auf sich und insofern sie ihm dienen und nützen. Er bemächtiget sich der vegetabilischen und animalischen Welt, und indem er andere Geschöpfe als passende Nahrung verschlingt, erkennet er seinen Gott und preiset dessen Güte, die so väterlich für ihn gesorget. Der Kuh nimmt er die Milch, der Biene den Honig, dem Schaf die Wolle, und indem er den Dingen einen ihm nützlichen Zweck gibt, glaubt er auch, daß sie dazu sind geschaffen worden. Ja er kann sich nicht denken, daß nicht auch das kleinste Kraut für ihn da sei, und wenn er dessen Nutzen noch gegenwärtig nicht erkannt hat, so glaubt er doch, daß solches sich künftig ihm gewiß entdecken werde.«
Montaigne, Essays 2.12 ("Apology for Raymond Sebond," tr. Donald M. Frame):
For why shall a gosling not say thus: "All the parts of the universe have me in view: the earth serves for me to walk on, the sun to give me light, the stars to breathe their influences into me; I gain this advantage from the winds, that from the waters; there is nothing that the heavenly vault regards so favorably as me; I am the darling of nature. Is it not man that treats me, houses me, serves me? It is for me that he sows and grinds."

Car pourquoi ne dira un oison ainsi: «Toutes les pièces de l'univers me regardent; la terre me sert à marcher, le soleil à m'éclairer, les étoiles à m'inspirer leurs influences; j'ai telle commodité des vents, telle des eaux; il n'est rien que cette voûte regarde si favorablement que moi; je suis le mignon de nature; est-ce pas l'homme qui me traite, qui me loge, qui me sert? c'est pour moi qu'il fait et semer et moudre.»



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?