Tuesday, August 17, 2021

 

What Is Kindred Blood, and No Memory?

Donald Davidson (1893-1968), "Soldier and Son," lines 1-22:
Son. Father, before the years have dulled your tongue,
Tell me the tale you have kept so long unspoken.
Without recollection, how can I truly be
Your son, or a true father of sons?
What is kindred blood, and no memory?

Soldier. Not being a man for talk, I have held my peace
And watched you grow without my memory.
They say the weeds redeem the battlefield;
It is fallow land. My friends are in the grave.
I cannot bring them back to you with words
If language itself at last turns mercenary.
Go read in those who have such words to sell;
You will be thought an educated man.

Son. Skim milk they give and call it history.
I have read its lies — have you not said they were lies?
Belief I want that surpasses easy knowledge.
When I believe you, I believe myself
And am myself, beyond my present self.
I want the word that burns into my heart
Like God's coal alive on the prophet's tongue.
I would listen now while memory is ablaze
To seal your testament within my soul.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?