Monday, October 25, 2021

 

Books

Gerald Brenan (1894-1987), South from Granada (1957; rpt. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1980), p. 8:
At length my money arrived. I was able to buy a good meal and, what was equally important, a couple of books.
Id., p. 9:
I had fetched my suitcase from Granada and so had a few books to read. I spent the last days of waiting sitting under the orange trees with a copy of Spinoza's Ethics and, when that proved too exacting, with Bury's History of Greece. The years of boredom in base-camps and trenches had filled me with a hunger for knowledge, and the first tasks I had set myself when I was settled were to learn something about philosophy and to teach myself Greek. I felt ashamed of being twenty-five and of having read nothing but a few novels and some poetry.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?