Friday, October 29, 2021

 

Negatives

Robinson Jeffers, "Foreword" to his Selected Poetry (New York: Randon House, 1938), p. xv:
Another formative principle came to me from a phrase of Nietzsche's: "The poets? The poets lie too much." I was nineteen when the phrase stuck in my mind; a dozen years passed before it worked effectively, and I decided not to tell lies in verse. Not to feign any emotion that I did not feel; not to pretend to believe in optimism or pessimism, or unreversible progress; not to say anything because it was popular, or generally accepted, or fashionable in intellectual circles, unless I myself believed it; and not to believe easily. These negatives limit the field; I am not recommending them but for my own occasions.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?