Thursday, July 27, 2023

 

Six O'Clock

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), Essay on the Freedom of the Will. Translated, with an Introduction, by Konstantin Kolenda (Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc., 1960), p. 43:
Let us imagine a man who, while standing on the street, would say to himself: "It is six o'clock in the evening, the working day is over. Now I can go for a walk, or I can go to the club; I can also climb up the tower to see the sun set; I can go to the theater; I can visit this friend or that one; indeed, I also can run out of the gate, into the wide world, and never return. All of this is strictly up to me, in this I have complete freedom. But still I shall do none of these things now, but with just as free a will I shall go home to my wife."

Wollen wir uns einen Menschen denken, der, etwan auf der Gasse stehend, zu sich sagte: „Es ist 6 Uhr Abends, die Tagesarbeit ist beendigt. Ich kann jezt einen Spaziergang machen; oder ich kann in den Klub gehn; ich kann auch auf den Thurm steigen, die Sonne untergehn zu sehn; ich kann auch ins Theater gehn; ich kann auch diesen, oder aber jenen Freund besuchen; ja, ich kann auch zum Thor hinauslaufen, in die weite Welt, und nie wiederkommen. Das Alles steht allein bei mir, ich habe völlige Freiheit dazu; thue jedoch davon jetzt nichts, sondern gehe ebenso freiwillig nach Hause, zu meiner Frau.“



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?