Saturday, August 17, 2024

 

Astydamas

Julian, Letters 26 (381 D; tr. Roy J. Deferrari, with his note):
In all this I have perhaps wearied you with my prattling and my idle talk, being afflicted with a sort of dullness of wit (for you see I have been praising myself, as Astydamas4 did).

4 An Athenian tragic poet of the middle of the fourth century B.C. He wrote a laudatory inscription to be carved upon a pedestal of a bust of himself which the people had voted in his honour, and Philemon the comic poet gibed at him in the line, σαυτὴν ἐπαινεῖς ὥσπερ Αστυδάμας ποτέ, "You praise yoursewlf, as Astydamas once did." See Philemon, frag. 190 (Kock), and Suidas, s.v. σαυτὸν ἐπαινεῖς.

ταῦτα ἴσως κατηδολέσχησά σου καὶ κατελήρησα, παθών τι βλακώδες· ἐπῄνεσα γὰρ ἐμαυτὸν ὥσπερ Αστυδάμας.
Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?