Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Dogs

Sauvage Noble posts two very interesting epitaphs for dogs from E. Courtney's Musa Lapidaria: A Selection of Latin Verse Inscriptions (1995). This is a subject much on my mind lately, at a time when my sister's dog is near death.

A poem that captures well the bond between man and dog, not dissolved even by death, is Robinson Jeffers' The House Dog's Grave, in which Jeffers' dead English bulldog Haig speaks:

I've changed my ways a little; I cannot now
Run with you in the evenings along the shore,
Except in a kind of dream; and you, if you dream a moment,
You see me there.

So leave awhile the paw-marks on the front door
Where I used to scratch to go out or in,
And you'd soon open; leave on the kitchen floor
The marks of my drinking-pan.

I cannot lie by your fire as I used to do
On the warm stone,
Nor at the foot of your bed; no, all the nights through
I lie alone.

But your kind thought has laid me less than six feet
Outside your window where firelight so often plays,
And where you sit to read - and I fear often grieving for me -
Every night your lamplight lies on my place.

You, man and woman, live so long, it is hard
To think of you ever dying.
A little dog would get tired, living so long.
I hope that when you are lying

Under the ground like me your lives will appear
As good and joyful as mine.
No, dears, that's too much hope: you are not so well cared for
As I have been.

And never have known the passionate undivided
Fidelities that I knew.
Your minds are perhaps too active, too many-sided...
But to me you were true.

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.




<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?