Tuesday, December 11, 2007

 

Idleness

As part of his series on curiosity, Horace Jeffery Hodges, Aquinas: Careless Curiosity, quotes St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica II. 2, q. 35, a. 4, obj. 3:
[Isidore of Seville] states that from sloth seven things arise, viz. "idleness, drowsiness, uneasiness of the mind, restlessness of the body, instability, loquacity, curiosity."
The Latin says:
De acedia vero dicit oriri septem, quae sunt otiositas, somnolentia, importunitas mentis, inquietudo corporis, instabilitas, verbositas, curiositas.
Brandon Watson, taking inspiration from Dr. Hodges' post, industriously tackles the question of the Daughters of Sloth.

At this stage of my life, sloth is the one of the Seven Deadly Sins that tempts me the most, and my curiosity about idleness has led me recently to note some literary descriptions of the sin, which I place here in my electronic filing cabinet:Some have argued that idleness is a virtue rather than a vice, e.g.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?