Friday, September 09, 2011

 

Long, Barren Silence

William Wordsworth:
I am not One who much or oft delight
To season my fireside with personal talk,
About Friends, who live within an easy walk,
Or Neighbours, daily, weekly, in my sight:
And, for my chance-acquaintance, Ladies bright,
Sons, Mothers, Maidens withering on the stalk,
These all wear out of me, like Forms, with chalk
Painted on rich men's floors, for one feast-night.
Better than such discourse doth silence long,
Long, barren silence, square with my desire;
To sit without emotion, hope, or aim,
By my half-kitchen my half-parlour fire,
And listen to the flapping of the flame,
Or kettle, whispering its faint undersong.
Vincent Van Gogh, Farmer Sitting at the Fireside Reading

Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?