Sunday, March 15, 2015

 

Sabbath Observance

Robert Graves (1895-1985), "The Boy out of Church," Country Sentiment (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1920), pp. 20-21:
As Jesus and his followers
    Upon a Sabbath morn
Were walking by a wheat field
    They plucked the ears of corn.

They plucked it, they rubbed it,
    They blew the husks away,
Which grieved the pious pharisees
    Upon the Sabbath day.

And Jesus said, "A riddle
    Answer if you can,
Was man made for the Sabbath
    Or Sabbath made for man?"

I do not love the Sabbath,
    The soapsuds and the starch,
The troops of solemn people
    Who to Salvation march.

I take my book, I take my stick
    On the Sabbath day,
In woody nooks and valleys
    I hide myself away.

To ponder there in quiet
    God's Universal Plan,
Resolved that church and Sabbath
    Were never made for man.
Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?