Tuesday, January 05, 2016

 

A Rich Source of Delight

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Priestley (January 27, 1800):
To all this I add, that to read the Latin & Greek authors in their original, is a sublime luxury; and I deem luxury in science to be at least as justifiable as in architecture, painting, gardening, or the other arts. I enjoy Homer in his own language infinitely beyond Pope's translation of him, & both beyond the dull narrative of the same events by Dares Phrygius; & it is an innocent enjoyment. I thank on my knees, him who directed my early education, for having put into my possession this rich source of delight; and I would not exchange it for anything which I could then have acquired, & have not since acquired.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?