Thursday, March 23, 2017

 

Political Changes

Francesco Guicciardini (1483-1540), Ricordi Politici e Civili, number 380 (tr. Ninian Hill Thomson):
I would be ready enough to labour for changes in a government that I disliked could I hope to effect them by myself alone. But when I remember that I must combine with others, and for the most part with fools or knaves, who neither know how to be silent nor how to act, nothing disgusts me more than to think of changes.

Io sarei pronto a cercare le mutazione degli Stati che non mi piacessino, se potessi sperare mutargli da me solo; ma quando mi ricordo che bisogna fare compagnia con altri, e el piú delle volte con pazzi e con maligni, e quali né sanno tacere, né sanno fare, non è cosa che io aborrisca piú che el pensare a questo.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?