Wednesday, July 31, 2019

 

Out of the Mouth of Babes and Sucklings

Boswell's Edinburgh Journals 1767-1786, ed. Hugh M. Milne (Edinburgh: Mercat Press, 2001), p. 355 (December 19, 1779):
It was a very wet day. So I stayed at home and made the children say divine lessons. In the afternoon I read one of Mr Carr's sermons aloud, and my wife another. At night after we were in bed, Veronica spoke out from her little bed and said, "I do not believe there is a GOD." "Preserve me," said I, "my dear, what do you mean?" She answered, "I have thinket it many a time, but did not like to speak of it." I was confounded and uneasy, and tried her with the simple argument that without GOD there would not be all the things we see. "It was HE who makes the sun shine." Said she: "It shines only on good days." Said I: "GOD made you." Said she: "My mother bore me." It was a strange and alarming thing to her mother and me to hear our little angel talk thus.
Veronica was six years old at the time.

Related posts:
Hat tip: Eric Thomson.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?