Monday, October 07, 2019

 

Funeral Wishes of Charles Dickens

John Forster, The Life of Charles Dickens, Vol. II (London: Chapman and Hall, 1890), pp. 300-301:
I emphatically direct that I be buried in an inexpensive, unostentatious, and strictly private manner; that no public announcement be made of the time or place of my burial; that at the utmost not more than three plain mourning coaches be employed; and that those who attend my funeral wear no scarf, cloak, black bow, long hat-band, or other such revolting absurdity. I DIRECT that my name be inscribed in plain English letters on my tomb, without the addition of ' Mr.' or 'Esquire.' I conjure my friends on no account to make me the subject of any monument, memorial, or testimonial whatever. I rest my claims to the remembrance of my country upon my published works, and to the remembrance of my friends upon their experience of me in addition thereto.
Related posts:



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?