Wednesday, April 08, 2020

 

Poverty

Lucian, Timon 36-37 (tr. A.M. Harmon):
But my good friend Poverty developed my body with tasks of the most manly sort, conversed with me truthfully and frankly, gave me all that I needed if only I worked for it, and taught me to despise the wealth I once cherished, making me depend upon myself for my hope of a living and showing me wherein lay my own riches, which could not be taken away either by a toady with flattery or by a blackmailer with threats, by a mob in a gust of passion, a voter with his ballot or a tyrant with his intrigues. Strengthened, therefore, by my labours, I work upon this farm with pleasure in my toil, seeing nothing of the ills in the city and getting ample and sufficient sustenance from my pick.

ἡ βελτίστη δὲ Πενία πόνοις με τοῖς ἀνδρικωτάτοις καταγυμνάσασα καὶ μετ᾿ ἀληθείας καὶ παρρησίας προσομιλοῦσα τά τε ἀναγκαῖα κάμνοντι παρεῖχε καὶ τῶν πολλῶν ἐκείνων καταφρονεῖν ἐπαίδευεν, ἐξ αὐτοῦ ἐμοῦ τὰς ἐλπίδας ἀπαρτήσασά μοι τοῦ βίου καὶ δείξασα ὅστις ἦν ὁ πλοῦτος ὁ ἐμός, ὃν οὔτε κόλαξ θωπεύων οὔτε συκοφάντης φοβῶν, οὐ δῆμος παροξυνθείς, οὐκ ἐκκλησιαστὴς ψηφοφορήσας, οὐ τύραννος ἐπιβουλεύσας ἀφελέσθαι δύναιτ᾿ ἄν. ἐρρωμένος τοιγαροῦν ὑπὸ τῶν πόνων τὸν ἀγρὸν τουτονὶ φιλοπόνως ἐπεργαζόμενος. οὐδὲν ὁρῶν τῶν ἐν ἄστει κακῶν, ἱκανὰ καὶ διαρκῆ ἔχω τὰ ἄλφιτα παρὰ τῆς δικέλλης.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?