Sunday, November 29, 2020

 

Indifference

Guy Davenport (1927-2005), "Ralph Eugene Meatyard," in The Geography of the Imagination (San Francisco: North Point Press, 1981), pp. 368-372 (at 371):
As a professor I must work with people for whom indifference is both a creed and a defense of their fanatic narrowness of mind...
Is he talking about his students or about his fellow professors? Or about both?



Eric Thomson (via email):
Students or professors? Indifference blights both, but I suspect Davenport is referring to his fellow professors, simply on the evidence of 'fanatic'. My students are too lazy and obtuse to be fanatic whereas the professors work away ferociously at their specialized fields. Interdisciplinarity is no more than glancing over the fence. "It's not my field" should now be replaced by "It's not my furrow".



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?