Saturday, December 05, 2020

 

Fossils

H. Rider Haggard, She: A History of Adventure, Chapter VI ("An Early Christian Ceremony"):
For half an hour or so I lay there reflecting on the very remarkable experiences that we were going through, and wondering if any of my eminently respectable fossil friends down at Cambridge would believe me if I were to be miraculously set at the familiar dinner-table for the purpose of relating them. I don't want to convey any disrespectful notion or slight when I call those good and learned men fossils, but my experience is that people are apt to fossilize even at an university if they follow the same paths too persistently. I was getting fossilized myself, but of late my stock of ideas has been very much enlarged.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?