Sunday, February 13, 2022

 

The Hand of Age

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Duane (October 1, 1812):
I am past service. The hand of age is upon me. The decay of bodily faculties apprizes me that those of the mind cannot be unimpaired, had I not still better proofs. Every year counts by increased debility, and departing faculties keep the score. The last year it was the sight, this it is the hearing, the next something else will be going, until all is gone. Of all this I was sensible before I left Washington, and probably my fellow laborers saw it before I did. The decay of memory was obvious. It is now become distressing. But the mind too is weakened. When I was young, mathematics were the passion of my life. The same passion has returned upon me, but with unequal powers. Processes which I then read off with the facility of common discourse, now cost me labor, and time and slow investigation.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?